Saturday, June 16, 2012

Review: Sugar Daddy's Bake Shop

Okay so I am super excited to try this new bakery in SLO. These guys opened Thursday apparently, and make a whole variety of sweets. There were mini pies, fancy cakes decorated in fondant, cute cookies, and of course, cupcakes. They only had three flavors, and was kind of expensive ($5 for one cupcake). They were slightly bigger cupcakes, but the pricing was kind of high for someone who just opened.

I ended up getting the cookies and cream cupcake. So far this is my favorite cupcake I have tried on the central coast, outside of my own of course. The cake was moist, not overly sweet, and had a flavor that is appropriate to its name. When I asked the owner if the cake was vanilla or had cookies in it, he gave me a look which I would have made myself if someone else asked me that about my cupcakes, and responded "It is a cookies and cream cake" very seriously. So far I like this guy. :)

The frosting was like nothing I have ever had on a cupcake. It was a very light frosting, where I wasn't sure if it was whipped cream or marshmallow fluff based. Whatever it was it complimented the cupcake very well. Then there was a drizzle of chocolate syrup and a Oreo on top. You can never go wrong with a Oreo on top.

What I REALLY liked about this cupcake was the fact that the flavor of cookies and cream almost fully came from the cake. The cake was not saturated with cookies though. It was just enough to add the cookie element to this light, creamy cake.

Overall, I give these guys an A. I hope to go back and try a different cupcake, and maybe one of their mini lemon meringue pies. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment